Preliminary exercise: Health drink advert

 1) Write a 100 word statement of intent explaining what you are going to make for your preliminary exercise.

I plan for my first advert about the babysitter, that she is busy looking after the kids. While being bored she looks around the house for a drink where she finds Huel. She drinks the Huel looking satisfied and re-energised. After she drinks it, I will show her looking ready to carry on with the busy day. I will use high-key lighting as it will reflect the healthiness, purity and all together brings the product a positive tone. I will also use white text which reveals a list of the key, healthy ingredients as she takes a sip from the drink. 

2) Write a script for your preliminary exercise on your blog. This needs to include stage directions AND dialogue. To see how a TV drama script is presented, and to look at professional examples, check out the BBC Writers' Room and click on Script Library. These will not be advert scripts but the layout will be the same.

"Fuels you, Huel." - VOICE OVER

My main character looks to the side seeing the kids playing. In look as if she is in relief and we track her into the kitchen where she opens the fridge and finds Huel. She grabs it and shuts the fridge door. She inspects it and opens the cap and takes a sip. As she raises the bottle and drinks form it, it reveals texts where she stops drinking it looking satisfied and closes the bottle and places it down where one of the children call her as she places it on the counter and walks out of the shot as I pan to her facing the child and track her and transition back to the bottle.

3) Casting: Who will be in your preliminary exercise advert?

My cousins will act and I will record.

4) Plan your locations: Where you will film your preliminary exercise? (You can film off-site if you wish to do this for homework - this is what we would strongly recommend). Important note: You CANNOT take any students out of any other lessons OR disturb any other lessons in the school. If you wish to film in-school then you will need to film with Mr Ray supervising or after school with a Media teacher present. 

I will record outside of school in my house. This is for my adverts plot.

5) Write your shot list: every shot you plan to film. This needs to be far MORE shots than you will actually use in the final edited version - plan extra angles, close-ups, long shots and more. You can find an example shot list here. This is for a narrative film but the layout will be the same. 

  • Medium close up when my character drinks from the bottle
  • Medium shot from behind while tracking my character to the fridge
  • Long shot as we see the character leave 
  • Pack shot at the end
  • Long shot
  • Over the shoulder shot

Comments